Natural Hair Winter Problems!
Prolonged hair exposure to cold weather begins to sap moisture from the hair leaving it more prone to breakage and dryness.
A few tips to maintain your hair during the winter months:
- Moisturise and seal
- Consider protective styles to help shield your hair from the elements (i.e. braids, cornrows etc)
- Minimise over washing your hair as it strips your hair of natural oils that help to keep it healthy and moisturised.
- Consider Co-wash (helps maintain moisture)
- Guard your hair from cotton and wool hats/caps as these draw out moisture from the hair. Instead make sure they are lined with satin/silk or just wear satin or silk wraps.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals to keep your hair follicles healthy.
- Keep hydrated with plenty of liquids.
The winter months can be very cruel to curly and kinky hair, not only because of the cold weather but the exposure of cold and heat i.e. being inside the house with heater on and then outside with cold weather. The constant changing temperatures does impact the hair hence why it is important to consider the above tips.